Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
With reference or regard to:‘he began to have serious worries respecting his car’
about, concerning, regarding, with regard to, relating to, on the subject of, respecting, in respect of, with respect to, with reference to, as regards, in the matter of, in connection with, referring to, touching onView synonyms
- ‘I am satisfied that there is no reason to ignore the real concerns of the mother respecting her and her son's safety, security and well being.’
- ‘The decision is relevant as regards most questions respecting the combination of accounts and is, therefore, discussed in full at this point.’
- ‘On July 12 th, the municipality will be working on a by-law respecting intrusion robbery and fire alarm systems and orderly and peaceful conduct bylaw.’
- ‘Section 390 requires employers to develop a policy and procedures respecting potential workplace violence.’
- ‘Your memo expresses concern respecting the strategy and progress in the war on terrorism.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.