One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
See respectableas submodifier ‘an architecture of respectably high standards’
- ‘A respectably dressed man in front of me was arguing about the age of his daughter, saying she was eligible for a child's ticket, but the attendant was not having it.’
- ‘She was respectably dressed, wearing what may have been a wedding ring, and had possibly had a child.’
- ‘Years later, he retired respectably as a cashier.’
- ‘It won't win them any new fans, but it should tide them along respectably enough for the time being.’
- ‘The acting, however, stands up pretty respectably.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.