Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Provide (a boot, shoe, etc.) with a new sole:‘in principle any shoe can be resoled, but track shoes are done less frequently than road or cross-country shoes’
- ‘According to him, ‘Seventy percent of the millionaires surveyed have their shoes resoled and repaired rather than replaced.’’
- ‘How about refurbishing the shoes - i.e., resoling, restitching, or the like?’
- ‘If it weren't for resoles I'd have to buy 4-5 pairs every year.’
- ‘They still offer resole services and resole their own shoes and all other brands of shoes.’
- ‘His shoes, as you have noticed, have been resoled.’
- ‘She's right that you may need to resole, but that is obviated by the other good suggestion, which is to get pads/insoles.’
- ‘Although the leather sole had worn out, he'd resoled them with an old black bicycle tire.’
- ‘Board-lasted shoes can also be resoled more often than slip-lasted shoes.’
- ‘It is a mesh pattern which should allow for some breathability, and I've been assured that resoling the rand doesn't affect the rubber.’
- ‘They needed to be resoled after 2 years but a $40 repair on a $300 pair of shoes is not bad.’
- ‘Even veterans fall short: They'll forget to get needed shots, have their favorite boots resoled, check out an area's water supply or pack needed medical supplies.’
- ‘But instead of moving on to a new pair when they wear out, they have them resoled.’
- ‘He acquired an old pair of shoes from his friend. When he had them resoled he discovered that he could no longer get them on.’
- ‘I have one pair that is over 20 years old and has been resoled and had new heels put on about three times now; they are incredibly comfortable.’
- ‘Emily also said that she needed to get her ‘high’ heel resoled.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.