One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Powerful and irresistible.‘a resistless impulse’
- ‘For three whole days, during which time did not exist for him, he struggled in that black sack into which he was being thrust by an invisible, resistless force.’
- ‘Every race carries in its mental constitution the laws of its destiny, and it is, perhaps, these laws that it obeys with a resistless impulse.’
- ‘It gives a particular direction to every sentiment and action, and carries a man forward, as by a kind of resistless impulse, or insuperable destiny.’
- ‘Humanity, gripped in the clutches of its devastating power, is smitten by the evidence of its resistless fury.’
- ‘The reason for this, Brown felt, was that men reach the chapter, and ‘the disposition to inquire is lost in the resistless impulse to adore.’’
- 1.1 Powerless to resist the effect of someone or something; unresisting.
impotent, helpless, without power, ineffectual, inadequate, ineffective, with no say, useless, defenceless, vulnerable, weak, feeble, paralysedView synonyms
- ‘I pictured to myself the emotional agonies, the tempests of passion, the lust of greed, the calm, subdued, resistless attitude of despair which at times found expression by the sale of mothers or fathers, brothers or sisters, wives or husbands, sweethearts or friends.’
- ‘Her first song is filled with autumn imagery of fading life, reflecting the loneliness and despair of one who sees only a resistless need to fall into the deep sleep of death as the darkness of winter comes on.’
- ‘Its doctrine-implied passive and resistless attitude. Masters advised followers to control their emotions and to calm their minds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.