Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Equip (a railway line) with new signal equipment.‘resignalling on the London–Tilbury and Southend line is complete’
- ‘All that will be left to do then will be the trackwork at stations which will be completed as part of the resignalling of the line.’
- ‘Network Rail says that resignalling the route with colour light signals will mean better punctuality and greater capacity for long-term growth in passenger and freight traffic.’
- ‘When I lived in London there was a plan to resignal the Central Line.’
- ‘We'll be resignalling the route next, and now we want to tackle our fleet.’
- ‘More usual work includes track renewal and preliminary work on signal sites and cables ready for resignalling next year.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.