Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1technical A chemical residue.
remainder, remaining part, part leftover, rest, remnant, remnantsView synonyms
- ‘After evaluation of the residuum and comparison with a threshold value, a fault signal is generated when the residuum reaches the threshold value.’
- ‘The barite ore is massive and occurs within residuum derived from carbonate units.’
- ‘But figuring out exactly how to regenerate ammonia borane from the residuum left after hydrogen has been extracted remains a stumbling block.’
- ‘Type I peridotites are interpreted to be the residua remaining after extraction of a partial melt.’
- ‘These soils are moderately deep to deep, well-drained loam or silt loam surface soils with loam or silty clay loam subsoils, formed primarily in sandstone residuum.’
A class of society that is unemployed and without privileges or opportunities.‘the urban residuum’
- ‘There has always been a problem of classification in treatments of this social residuum; that of distinguishing between the worthy and unworthy poor.’
- ‘Whereas the incorporation of the working class modified their systematic resentment at policing, police conflict with the residuum at the base of the social hierarchy remained.’
- ‘Examples would be vagrants, skid-row alcoholics, the unemployed or casually employed residuum, youth adopting a deviant cultural style, ethnic minorities, gays, prostitutes and radical political organizations.’
- ‘Though the residuum is in one sense a social category, the concept implies that the group stands outside society and resists easy categorization.’
Late 17th century: from Latin, neuter of residuus remaining, from the verb residere.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.