One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The stress present in an object in the absence of any external load or force.
- ‘These two microstructural elements both have adverse effects on the distribution of residual stress in the case-hardened part.’
- ‘In the no-load state, the inner wall is under compression whereas the outer wall is in tension because of the existence of residual stress and strain.’
- ‘Factors that affect the stress-corrosion susceptibility of high-strength steels are their composition, structure, strength level, applied stress, residual stress, environment and time.’
- ‘Aftershocks are generally the result of the release of residual stress in areas not ruptured in the main shock.’
- ‘Machining operations also can result in residual stress and require intermediate stress relieving prior to final machining.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.