Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The average length of time during which a substance, a portion of material, or an object is in a given location or condition, such as adsorption or suspension:‘the construction of drains has reduced the residence time of water in the soil’
- ‘The residence time is the average time an element spends in the ocean before it is removed to the sediment.’
- ‘The offset in these two curves reflects the lengthy residence time for bioclasts in this high wave energy coastal environment, and a component of sediment recycling from older barriers.’
- ‘The actual increase would be much less, since the residence time of water vapor in the atmosphere is about nine days.’
- ‘The less material there is to heat, the shorter the required residence time.’
- ‘The residence time of the participating water molecules can vary significantly.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.