Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Expressing disapproval or disappointment:‘she gave him a reproachful look’
disapproving, reproving, full of reproof, critical, censorious, disparaging, disappointed, withering, accusatory, admonitory, condemnatory, castigatory, fault-findingView synonyms
- ‘It is on this point that the reproachful farmers differ with Ellis.’
- ‘The other half quaked, disturbed by the glowering lines of his face, the reproachful glare of his obsidian eyes.’
- ‘Felldeten turned horrified eyes on her, reproachful, betrayed.’
- ‘Dema nodded his agreement and shot Alex a reproachful look as if she was breaking her promise.’
- ‘Silently I looked up at her with a reproachful glance, trying at least for a little pity and only succeeding in finding that the spark of respect had disappeared.’
- ‘While a reproachful raspberry goes to their Windows counterparts.’
- ‘She looked at him with reproachful eyes and he looked at her with disgust and anger.’
- ‘At times the illustrations serve as reproachful comment on the inauthenticity of Longfellow's fanciful creation.’
- ‘And when Uncle Sean met Melonie and Mike, he didn't seem the least reproachful that they were my friends.’
- ‘But now, she grew reproachful and distant with Rhiannon, and Rhiannon knew quite well why.’
- ‘Inger turned reproachful blue eyes on her husband.’
- ‘The thin-lipped reproachful glance, the bohemian toss of the head, the casual business with the cigarette case - they are all in evidence.’
- ‘But I knew all those words were somehow reproachful, and that Aunt Jane and Mum were probably talking about me.’
- ‘My mother's face floated to mind, a pale reproachful moon, at her last and first visit to the asylum since my twentieth birthday.’
- ‘I asked Dad, and he turned and gave me a reproachful look.’
- ‘His comments always held a reproachful tone, even when he tried to be dear.’
- ‘For a moment she stood still, looking at him with reproachful fear in her wide blue eyes.’
- ‘Jeremy was looking at Blade in a slightly reproachful manner.’
- ‘Vague, reproachful thoughts for all the remote and immediate luxury of his life passed through his mind.’
- ‘‘Yum,’ Kimberly grinned sarcastically, and was met with a reproachful look from Gabe.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.