One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘When tracing minorities over time, we have repeatedly observed that violent political action follows a period of nonviolent activity that was either ignored or dealt with repressively.’
- ‘The drama is about the repressively totalitarian, Catholic values of 1568 Spain clashing with the liberal-humanitarian ideals of Prince Carlos and his gallant friend the Marquis of Posa.’
- ‘Unlike most Americans, having lived in the Soviet Union, I have some experiences of a society where a national ID system was used relatively repressively.’
- ‘For Michel, the authority of the museum operates in tandem with the authority of the state, and both function repressively to produce a passive viewer/subject.’
- ‘At the ballet's close they follow Eva, her charisma intact, as she is banished from this unforgiving, repressively puritanical sect.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.