One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘When tracing minorities over time, we have repeatedly observed that violent political action follows a period of nonviolent activity that was either ignored or dealt with repressively.’
- ‘The drama is about the repressively totalitarian, Catholic values of 1568 Spain clashing with the liberal-humanitarian ideals of Prince Carlos and his gallant friend the Marquis of Posa.’
- ‘Unlike most Americans, having lived in the Soviet Union, I have some experiences of a society where a national ID system was used relatively repressively.’
- ‘At the ballet's close they follow Eva, her charisma intact, as she is banished from this unforgiving, repressively puritanical sect.’
- ‘For Michel, the authority of the museum operates in tandem with the authority of the state, and both function repressively to produce a passive viewer/subject.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.