One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The practice or advocacy of representational art.
- ‘Outside representationalism, what we are dealing with could not be culture as such.’
- ‘Can it change its aesthetic, yielding the standard of visual realism to photography, which already occupies the high ground of respectable representationalism in many western museums?’
- ‘The earliest representation of the Buddha in the exhibition is a breathtakingly beautiful import from Gandhara with its echo of Hellenistic representationalism.’
- ‘George Maciunas has emphasized the importance of their work, expounding a theory against representationalism in art, semiotics, illusionism, and abstraction.’
- ‘Like Sigmar Polke, he shifts gears between a tonal representationalism that is somewhat photographic and layered drawing, and then pulls away, leaving a gestural abstraction on top.’
- ‘Their work led him to conclude that both analytic philosophy and the linguistic turn were nothing more than the ‘last refuge’ of representationalism.’
- ‘As an artist who gained prominence in the turbulent and exciting 1960s, he was instrumental in the transition from abstract expressionism toward a return to the object and representationalism.’
- ‘The role of Abstract Expressionism, whose characteristic feature was the lack of representationalism, is the focus of this well-illustrated and well-documented video.’
- ‘This expressivity, in our view, is the critical element for the construction of a politics of dispute that is not bound to modes of representationalism and the socio-cultural momentum that permits, even delights in, the horrors of war.’
- ‘Here, representationalism borders on musical Impressionism, a concept Wagner discussed with Auguste Renoir.’
- ‘And that is what is accomplished by the specifically representationalist part of strong representationalism does, not by the functionalist part.’
- ‘The exhibition notes tell us that he exploited the tension between abstract patterns and representationalism.’
- ‘Representationalism has its limits.’
- ‘The second reason why pragmatists have dismissed representationalism has to do with concerns in the theory of knowledge.’
2Philosophyanother term for representationism
- ‘It combines elements of both representationalism and higher-order theory but does so in a way that varies interestingly from the more standard versions of either.’
- ‘In ‘Bergson's Conception of Difference,’ Deleuze unfolds Bergson's potential as a critic of representationalism, reconcilable with Nietzsche and as an alternative to Heidegger.’
- ‘The subject of representationalism therefore comes to appear as naturally given, just as, in this view, technology is also a given.’
- ‘Tye has recently advanced a theory of the first sort; this is what I call his representationalism.’
- ‘As emphasized above, Berkeley's campaign against matter, as he presents it in the Principles, is directed against materialist representationalism and presupposes representationalism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.