One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK and Canada) the stage in the process of a bill becoming law at which it is debated in the House of Commons or House of Lords after it is reported.
- ‘Half of those questioned in the initial report stage believe that Bluetooth remains under threat from competing wireless technologies.’
- ‘But the Bill runs out of time during its report stage in the commons.’
- ‘The Housing Bill which includes the proposal to introduce these packs - has returned to the House of Lords for its report stage where proposed amendments to the Bill will now be discussed.’
- ‘The findings come as the Government's Hunting Bill, which bans hare coursing and stag hunting but allows some fox hunting to continue under licence, awaits the report stage in the Commons.’
- ‘The most important of these are the second reading, the Committee stage, and the report stage.’
- ‘Justice Minister Michael McDowell was also accused of dragging his feet over new public order legislation first published last year but still only at report stage.’
- ‘The bill, as amended, goes back to the full House for its report stage: this is a rather less thorough and less time-consuming version of the committee stage, but taken on the floor of the House.’
- ‘There were few contributors when it was later debated at the report stage.’
- ‘The Government has announced the report stage of the hunting bill will take place on Monday, June 30.’
- ‘On the report stage of the Bill in the House of Lords a question was raised as to the application of the right to buy provisions to dwellings situated in what was described as ‘open space or parkland’.’
- ‘The Bill will now go to the report stage and a third reading before it becomes law.’
- ‘Dr Brand said that he planned to raise a series of amendments to the bill at the report stage on 14 April.’
- ‘A Department for Education and Skills source confirmed that peers would be allowed a free vote on Lord Lester's amendment during the Bill's report stage.’
- ‘The railways bill, due to have its report stages in the Lords today, will probably reach the statute book.’
- ‘They called for ministers to drop the proposals contained in clause seven of the Asylum and Immigration (Treatment of Claimants, etc) Bill, which begins its report stage in the House of Commons today.’
- ‘The Lords voted to keep the prohibition with a majority of 34 voting for the Tory amendment during the Adoption and Children Bill's report stage.’
- ‘This is the day the hunting bill reaches the report stage in the House of Commons.’
- ‘Introducing the legislation, Mr Morley said that in recognition of strong opinions on both sides of the argument, Labour MPs would be given a free vote when the Bill reached its report stage.’
- ‘Tomorrow is the final day of the report stage of Hugh Abbot's Housing Bill in the Commons, and everything's going splendidly.’
- ‘The Tories and Liberal Democrats have tabled an amendment for the Lords report stage of the European Parliamentary and Local Elections Bill, due on February 23.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.