Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Polish (something) again.
- ‘The wafer is repolished flat on one side, while the other is curved to conform to the curved inside of the retina.’
- ‘I can sharpen the edge back to what it was before, and repolish the blade itself, but all my work will be for naught if you don't clean it every now and then.’
- ‘Because concrete can be repolished, it can stick around for years.’
- ‘Then the finish was stripped and the bare metal repolished.’
- ‘An ancient jewel on a dusty Yemeni hillside has been lovingly repolished and returned to its place in the centre of the community clearly ‘contributing to established ways of doing things’.’
- ‘Every two or three years, again depending upon usage have the stones repolished.’
- ‘If you buff them regularly after you've had it repolished, you can probably keep the scratch level below the ‘annoying point’.’
- ‘Benneman repolished the marble top, relined the inside of the drop-front with green Morocco leather, restored the locks and provided a new key.’
- ‘The plant will strip and repolish test wafers, and will be the first plant to reclaim 300 mm wafers on an industrial scale.’
- ‘A marble fabricator can repolish the stone to restore the gloss.’
- ‘Commercial Colts were made from 1913 until the introduction of the Series 70 and were, essentially, rejected Government Models thrown aside to be repolished and refitted for sale to the commercial trade.’
- ‘This means having it stripped back, sanded and repolished.’
- ‘I'll get all the engine cowls off, get all the dust out of it, and a lot of areas have to be repolished.’
- ‘Adi said the furniture was repolished just a week before the flood and had cost him Rp 800,000.’
- ‘Lithofin sells a care and maintenance pack for stone, and an abrasive polishing powder to repolish marble.’
- ‘The small grains were repolished and reanalysed to obtain 28 analyses in four sessions.’
- ‘They removed all the stone lining from the walls of both rooms, reground and repolished all of the plates, and then placed them back where they had originally been.’
- ‘Some parts ore marked after polishing and the act of repolishing diminishes them.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.