One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an envelope or card) having the postage for a reply prepaid.
- ‘Please fill in the attached form and return it to us using the reply-paid envelope.’
- ‘Since he has generously provided a reply-paid envelope it seemed churlish not to complete it.’
- ‘The responses were returned directly to the researchers in a reply-paid envelope.’
- ‘About two weeks before the May 1 elections, every voter will receive a ballot paper in the post, with instructions, and a reply-paid addressed envelope.’
- ‘Jon Smith will send a question form and reply-paid envelope if you contact him.’
- ‘When schools were agreeable, a recruitment package was sent directly to the parent or guardian, who returned the completed questionnaire and the consent form to the chief investigator in a reply-paid envelope.’
- ‘Customers can play a rented game for as long as they like, before returning it in a reply-paid mailer and receiving another game off their wish list.’
- ‘Please return this ballot paper in the reply-paid envelope to the address provided.’
- ‘When members advise DHA of their posting, the organisation will send them a letter with a tear-off card in a reply-paid envelope.’
- ‘Under the scheme, every Rotherham elector would receive a ballot paper in the post with instructions on how to fill it in, and a reply-paid envelope addressed to the returning officer.’
- ‘There's a reply-paid card on the booklet - but with an insultingly minute space for comment.’
- ‘The franked envelopes contain a copy of a Labour election leaflet called The Rose, a form to register for postal votes and a reply-paid Labour freepost envelope.’
- ‘Why don't they provide reply-paid envelopes for sending bill payments?’
- ‘If the mailshot includes a reply-paid envelope, stuff the whole lot into it and send it back.’
- ‘About a month before the black wheelie bins are due to be delivered by the manufacturer, residents will receive a reply-paid postcard from the council to select the most appropriate size of bin for their household.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.