One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Expressing or feeling sincere regret and remorse; remorseful.‘he is truly repentant for his incredible naivety and stupidity’
penitent, contrite, regretful, full of regret, sorrowful, rueful, remorseful, apologetic, conscience-stricken, ashamed, guilt-ridden, chastened, self-reproachful, shamefaced, guiltyView synonyms
- ‘She tried to ignore how adorable he looked, all contrite and repentant.’
- ‘When Dunia returns to her father's grave and breaks down in tears, the reader can surmise that she is ashamed and repentant.’
- ‘So we can sympathize with the older woman's conundrum over the repentant ex-husband: we can forgive, but can we forget?’
- ‘He later gave bread to the poor, which upset his mother; she subsequently died, and he felt guilty and repentant - that his action of giving bread was somehow the cause.’
- ‘Picture a Julius Caesar recovered from his murderous assault to confront a repentant Brutus, who must painfully work out the consequences of his actions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.