One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of repenting; sincere regret or remorse.‘each person who turns to God in genuine repentance and faith will be saved’
remorse, contrition, contriteness, penitence, sorrow, sorrowfulness, regret, ruefulness, remorsefulness, pangs of conscience, prickings of conscience, shame, guilt, self-reproach, self-condemnation, compunctionView synonyms
- ‘In the thirteenth century her character and role were significantly expanded to incorporate details of her life as a prostitute and her subsequent conversion and repentance.’
- ‘True repentance will be accepted in the spirit given.’
- ‘The ruling principle is that fear of sin precedes love of God, which leads to repentance (contrition).’
- ‘There was an expression of extreme repentance, sorrow and guilt upon his open face.’
- ‘Any attempt to escape will fail, and repentance may give you a shorter time of imprisonment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.