Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Lateral branches dichotomize several times before terminating in pairs of reniform sporangia.’
- ‘The pale form is straw-colored with mahogany brown markings at the edges of the wings, whereas the dark form has the entire forewing mahogany-colored except for a paler line round the orbicular and reniform stigmata.’
- ‘Stalked, reniform sporangia reside clearly in the axis of the leaves.’
- ‘Scattered among the large cells were occasional multinucleated ‘hallmark’ tumor cells exhibiting horseshoe-shaped or reniform nuclei with perinuclear hofs.’
- ‘Asymmetric divisions lead to the formation of a pair of reniform guard cells surrounding the stomatal opening.’
Mid 18th century: from Latin ren kidney + -iform.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.