Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A Japanese poem in the form of a tanka (or series of tanka), with the first three lines composed by one person and the second two by another.
- ‘Rewriting of canonical pieces, the development of sequences and rengas, a short verse play collaboration, as well as the workshopping of individual poems, will be the main elements of the course.’
- ‘At the age of thirteen, Zeami first met Nijo Yoshimoto, once regent of the Northern Court and leader of the Nijo school of court poetry as well as a practitioner of renga (linked verse, then coming into wide popularity).’
- ‘In the rengas Page and Stratford ‘move through sadness to [a] final hopeful image.’’
- ‘On Thursday, National Poetry Day, he is to be presented with a renga - a serial poem - composed by children and poets en route from Edinburgh to Glasgow.’
- ‘It is what might be called a collaborative poem, or renga, an identity well explained in the poem.’
Japanese, from ren linking + ga (from ka poetry).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.