One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sound piercingly.‘a shrill scream rent the air’
- ‘Unearthly screams rent the air; foul smells offended the nostrils.’
- ‘Shouts of excitement and shrills of joy rent the air.’
- ‘The beating of drums coupled with notes from the trumpet rent the air.’
- ‘The occasional scream of agony and the sound of the lash rent the air.’
- ‘Loud cheers rent the air as the smiling star, somewhat overwhelmed by the tumultuous welcome, made her way inside the college.’
- ‘He was almost to the tree, when he heard a piercing scream rend the air.’
- ‘Loud guffaws rent the air and before one wave of laughter could die another surged in.’
- ‘The shockwave hit a second later, throwing Tim and the others to the floor as a loud crack rent the air, the sound nearly deafening them.’
- ‘A horrible yowling sound rent the air, a cacophony of dissonant notes in the cool morning stillness.’
- ‘A student brass band played, rose petals were showered and pigeons were released as peace slogans rent the air.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.