One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sound piercingly.‘a shrill scream rent the air’
- ‘A student brass band played, rose petals were showered and pigeons were released as peace slogans rent the air.’
- ‘Shouts of excitement and shrills of joy rent the air.’
- ‘Loud cheers rent the air as the smiling star, somewhat overwhelmed by the tumultuous welcome, made her way inside the college.’
- ‘The beating of drums coupled with notes from the trumpet rent the air.’
- ‘Loud guffaws rent the air and before one wave of laughter could die another surged in.’
- ‘The occasional scream of agony and the sound of the lash rent the air.’
- ‘A horrible yowling sound rent the air, a cacophony of dissonant notes in the cool morning stillness.’
- ‘He was almost to the tree, when he heard a piercing scream rend the air.’
- ‘Unearthly screams rent the air; foul smells offended the nostrils.’
- ‘The shockwave hit a second later, throwing Tim and the others to the floor as a loud crack rent the air, the sound nearly deafening them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.