Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Give a new name to.‘after independence Celebes was renamed Sulawesi’
- ‘It appears fully satisfied with the idea that renaming the Outreach Fund will eliminate the stigma of race and gender preferences.’
- ‘After being dropped by Maverick, the original band once again reforms, renaming themselves the Soul Brains.’
- ‘The area was later renamed after an owner John le Boteler, the name becoming Butler Hills and later corrupted to Butter Hills.’
- ‘Perhaps Treasury could be renamed the Department of Unemployment Expansion.’
- ‘Now a member of parliament proposes a motion - that is more drastic - to rename towns and cities with their pre-colonial names.’
- ‘The television spin off was renamed Moose Factory and featured a native actor from Timmins.’
- ‘Petrograd was renamed Leningrad in his honour - its third name change.’
- ‘The city is loath to rename an existing street name and has offered a small park outside of the Papineau metro as an alternative.’
- ‘The album was originally titled Anything But Ordinary but was renamed Let Go.’
- ‘At some point it was officially renamed Jinnah Road, but the old name persists.’
- ‘Almost all of them have been renamed after Indian leaders since Independence.’
- ‘Harry has decided to rename anything with an awful name, and they get onto the subject of what names mean.’
- ‘It's the story of a gang of kids known as the Hell Hounds, who, renaming themselves the Helping Hands, establish a secret sanctuary for abused children.’
- ‘You can rename these if you'd like by clicking on the name of the track and typing something else.’
- ‘He said renaming the north-side extension Great Canadian Way will make for directional clarity in the area.’
- ‘The zone, like so much else about the occupation, has simply been renamed.’
- ‘At the summit meeting, the leaders discussed renaming the group to better reflect its new initiatives and composition.’
- ‘After the war, Saigon was renamed Ho Chi Minh City (though it is still well known by its old name).’
- ‘Since then the agency has been renamed the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management.’
- ‘We were messing around with some friends and thought it would be funny if they renamed it the Deathstar.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.