One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A herd of horses that have been saddle-broken, from which ranch hands choose their mounts for the day.
- ‘They wouldn't let Grandpa Dan fight so instead he tended the remuda for Terrell's Texas Rangers.’
- ‘In 1996 the Stuart won the Best Remuda Award, given by the AQHA and the National Cattleman's Beef Association to outstanding ranch remudas of registered Quarter Horses.’
- ‘He was there in seconds to return all the horses to the remuda.’
- ‘How come, he wondered, had a man with a whole personal remuda to pick from come to choose himself such an ornery horse to ride.’
- ‘He ran with the remuda, but every time the remuda was driven towards the pen, he would break away.’
Late 19th century: via American Spanish, from Spanish, literally ‘exchange, replacement’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.