One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Salad or seafood dressing made with hard-boiled egg yolks, oil, and vinegar, and flavoured with mustard, capers, and herbs.as modifier ‘spicy shrimp tempura with a remoulade sauce’count noun ‘we make a real remoulade, we don't serve a bottled tartar sauce’
- ‘The tasting plate consisted of a smoked salmon sandwich with chive cream cheese and remoulade.’
- ‘John sampled some of everyone's and declared his appetizer - shrimp remoulade - to be pretty good.’
- ‘I am puzzled by the blue-crab fritters, small puffs that never let you forget they are fried; and by their dipping sauces (green papaya remoulade, tamarind ketchup, soy-chile mignonette) that sound more interesting than they taste.’
- ‘Divide the meat between four plates, then add a spoonful of remoulade.’
- ‘It was a warm day, so we passed on the squash bisque and instead ordered spicy shrimp tempura with a remoulade sauce and baby salad greens with bocconcini in a raspberry vinaigrette.’
- ‘There's also a cooler full of salads, addictive remoulade you can take home in tubs, a good selection of Danish cheese (including top-quality Havarti), homemade rye bread, all kinds of Dutch chocolate - yum.’
- ‘People said to get one with everything (mustard, raw onions, fried onions, remoulade and something else I think), but I mistakenly ordered a ‘Clinton Special’ at the suggestion of some drunk 17-year old ordering ahead of me.’
- ‘Add the caviar to the remoulade and mix to combine.’
- ‘There are also chunky crab cakes with cranberry, duck and pork rillettes on crisp French bread, Atlantic prawns and celeriac remoulade with a topping of caviar.’
- ‘He's going to replace the heady sauce and the imported cheese with processed Swiss and a ready-pack version of remoulade.’
- ‘Here is a recipe for cooked lobster served with homemade remoulade sauce.’
- ‘We make a real remoulade, we don't serve a bottled tartar sauce, and our own cocktail sauce is made with fresh tomatoes.’
- ‘By comparison, coconut shrimp, another winning appetizer, seems like spa food: a quartet of firm, sweet, nut-crusted crustaceans with a lively mango-curry remoulade.’
- ‘The corn muffins were warm and the shrimp remoulade was decent, especially to someone who'd never tasted a real one - like us.’
- ‘And she and Smith have combined American ingredients and a French influence, with one result an appetizer of fried green tomatoes and shrimp remoulade.’
French rémoulade, from Italian remolata.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.