One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Filled with remorse; sorry.‘the defendant was remorseful for what he had done’
sorry, full of regret, regretful, sad, contrite, repentant, penitent, guilt-ridden, conscience-stricken, guilty, ashamed, chastened, shamefaced, self-reproachful, rueful, apologeticView synonyms
- ‘He's become extremely apologetic and very remorseful about what he did.’
- ‘The court heard the stepfather was remorseful and apologised to his stepdaughter for what he did.’
- ‘Both are ashamed and remorseful for what they did, and they are not fans of mine right now.’
- ‘The defendant is sitting there looking very remorseful.’
- ‘Her remorseful attacker languishes in a UK prison.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.