One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Flight feathers.Compare with rectrices
plume, quillView synonyms
- ‘I cut each of the primary remiges 3 cm shorter, measuring from the tip and perpendicular to the long axis.’
- ‘The excellent fossil remains of feathers from the several specimens of Archaeopteryx are remiges and rectrices.’
- ‘Then, by laying the remex along the length of the ruler, its length was measured to the nearest millimeter.’
- ‘The remiges have similarly colored outer edges, but the rest of each remex is slatier and darker.’
- ‘Wing area was reduced by taping primary remiges five to seven (counted ascendingly).’
Mid 18th century: from Latin, literally ‘rowers’, based on remus ‘oar’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.