One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK and Canada) an institution in which people accused of a crime are held in custody while awaiting trial.
- ‘I was a bad boy, I used to run away from school, and as a result I spent a few years in remand centres.’
- ‘The survey included 1066 teenagers and adults living in a juvenile detention centre, a remand centre, or facilities for the homeless in Moscow.’
- ‘The phraseology makes it plain that Parliament was authorising the Secretary of State on occasion to place a particular offender under the age of 18 temporarily in a prison or remand centre.’
- ‘There are also ‘very unsatisfactory’ difficulties in securing transfers from the mainly remand centre, Cloverhill, to the hospital in Dundrum.’
- ‘In the last few months he has left the remand centre seven times - but he has never been missing for more than 10 days.’
- ‘The creaking jail will also undergo a major refurbishment over the next seven years, as space becomes available in the new remand centre in Cloverhill and at Midlands Prison.’
- ‘It was more of a low security remand centre than a high-security prison.’
- ‘He was put in the remand centre immediately, while eventually, for my own safety, I was placed in what is known as secure housing.’
- ‘As Christmas approaches, Josef will be let out of the remand centre and will be allowed go home for a few days.’
- ‘Later, in a corridor at Risley remand centre, the most hated couple in history held hands briefly… and then parted forever.’
- ‘Turning houses into, say, remand centres, such as happened to Shandon House, Dunbartonshire may preserve the bricks and mortar but the building's integrity is destroyed.’
- ‘Your Honour, I must say I was quite unaware, having noticed a building being built in Spencer Street that was called the Remand Centre, that Victoria, at least in recent years, has not had a remand centre at all.’
- ‘Lancaster Farms opened in March 1993 as a remand centre and young offender institution.’
- ‘However, they complained that before being sent to the camp, they received ‘mental and emotional torture’ during the 60-day detention period at the police remand center.’
- ‘The orphanage, called Akany Avoko, is attached to a girls' remand centre about 20 minutes from Madagascar's capital, Antananavivo.’
- ‘On any day worldwide about 10 million people are incarcerated, in prisons, remand centres, police stations, jails, detention centres for asylum seekers, penal colonies, and prisoner of war camps.’
- ‘The man was first remanded to Mountjoy Prison before being transferred to Clover Hill early last year following the opening of the new remand centre.’
- ‘There is also a similar project with the bakery at the remand centre, with which she is involved too.’
- ‘However, we bear in mind that the possibility of collusion cannot be entirely ruled out as all these witnesses were held on remand at the same remand centre.’
- ‘The lack of staff has meant the majority of beds remained unfilled, leaving troubled kids out on the streets or in the remand centre at Oberstown in North Dublin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.