Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A kind of sleep that occurs at intervals during the night and is characterized by rapid eye movements, more dreaming and bodily movement, and faster pulse and breathing.
- ‘Although alcohol can make you drowsy and is in fact a depressant, it can cause a restless sleep and actually may deprive you of needed REM sleep.’
- ‘Some think the process is akin to REM sleep, where eye movements accompany the digestion of daytime memories.’
- ‘Other species cannot provide information about mental processes during sleep, so controversy surrounds the question of whether or not animals are dreaming during REM sleep.’
- ‘Patient reports of dreams experienced during REM sleep tend to be bizarre and detailed, with storyline plot associations.’
- ‘Moreover, the percentage of stable breathing diminished with increasing age, body mass index, REM sleep, and supine position.’
- ‘Franco and colleagues have demonstrated that infants born to smoking mothers have a higher arousal threshold to auditory stimuli during REM sleep.’
- ‘This is especially true in infants, who spend most of their time in sleep, and most importantly in REM sleep.’
- ‘Most frightening dreams occur during REM sleep, and most REM-altering disorders and medications affect dreaming.’
- ‘Note the decreasing amounts of slow wave sleep and increasing amounts of REM sleep over the course of the night’
- ‘Suppression of motor output to pharyngeal dilator muscles during non-REM and REM sleep promotes airway closure.’
- ‘It happens during three distinct periods during the night called rapid eye movement or REM sleep.’
- ‘A person starts dreaming upon entering REM sleep.’
- ‘If you're awakened during REM sleep, you may recall vivid dreams.’
- ‘The studies were done during slow wave sleep and REM sleep.’
- ‘Melatonin had no effect on sleep quality, wakefulness, total sleep time, or percentage of time spent in REM sleep.’
- ‘The increase in the power of LF component during the postapneic hyperventilation was significantly more pronounced in non-REM sleep than in REM sleep.’
- ‘Thus, the model used in this study has important features similar to the neural events during natural REM sleep.’
- ‘During REM sleep, we dream, and babies twitch and move around.’
- ‘When supplemental oxygen was given, all six infants had an increase in sleep duration due largely to an increase in REM sleep.’
- ‘People who don't sleep for long enough or who sleep very lightly, become deprived of REM sleep.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.