Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person having religious beliefs or devoted to a religious life.
brother, male member of a religious order, religious, contemplativeView synonyms
- ‘Of about 14,000 inhabitants, not less than a fourth were clergy and religioners.’
- ‘The priest, the religioner, the father of a family, every one has wrongs to avenge.’
- ‘Why is there no First Amendment right for religioners?’
- ‘The religioner is not exempt from suspicion at the frontier station.’
- ‘The religioners who embarked for the service of the fleet were 180, consisting of Augustinians, Franciscans, Dominicans, and Jesuits.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.