One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A map indicating hills and valleys by shading rather than by contour lines alone.
- ‘At the northern end of the Tjörn is the impressive Radhus (the Town Hall), worth a visit for its huge relief map of the country and the glass-walled café perched over the lake.’
- ‘Hunt took old relief maps of the Grand Canyon from several books, enlarged them on canvas and then painted over them in oils, highlighting emerging patterns in the rippling elevation markings.’
- ‘Mac gazed at the relief map, scanning the recorded edges where their flight plan would begin.’
- ‘Just beside the sign is a large relief map of Australia.’
- ‘But I thought that the constant shifting of the dunes made it impossible to make a relief map of the area.’
- ‘Nothing gives you a faster picture of topography than relief maps.’
- ‘Clear and interesting details are given about parks and facilities, and short drives and their attractions, with a colourful relief map of the area.’
- ‘And besides, I didn't need to finish in the 99th percentile or anything; all I had to do was pass the course and then, hopefully, never cast my eyes upon a relief map again.’
- ‘On his office wall hangs a relief map of Costa Rica.’
- ‘The first map is a relief map of the immediate surroundings of Garibaldi Lake.’
- ‘Now fully warmed, Alex's impossibly large arms resemble a relief map of his native country, with jagged veins resembling the Ural mountain range, dividing east from west.’
- ‘At the far end of the museum is a large plaster topographic relief map of Nevada that was created in 1913 for display at the 1915 Pan-Pacific Exposition in San Francisco, and a Diebold safe that was used by John Mackay in Virginia City.’
- 1.1 A map model with elevations and depressions representing hills and valleys, typically on an exaggerated relative scale.
- ‘One of the earliest and largest temples of Bharat Mata was established in 1936 in the town of Varanasi, where a large relief map of Akhanda Bharat or South Asia lies enshrined.’
- ‘For one history assignment, David had to make a relief map of Israel out of pizza dough.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.