One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ratio of the average mass of one molecule of an element or compound to one twelfth of the mass of an atom of carbon-12.
- ‘Hirudin, a 65 amino acid residue anticoagulant peptide with a relative molecular mass of 7000 Da purified from the leech Hirudo medicinalis, binds thrombin with high specificity and sensitivity.’
- ‘Cyanoalanine synthase activity has been localized mainly to mitochondria and has an apparent relative molecular mass of 53 000 to 60 000.’
- ‘With these diatomic molecules, there is an Avogadro's number of diatomic molecules in the amount of gas that is equivalent to the relative molecular mass.’
- ‘The resulting homogenates were clarified by high-speed centrifugation, and the resulting supernatants were used immediately for activity and relative molecular mass (M r) determinations.’
- ‘Number of moles equals mass over relative molecular mass.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.