Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The ratio of the average mass of one molecule of an element or compound to one twelfth of the mass of an atom of carbon-12.
- ‘The resulting homogenates were clarified by high-speed centrifugation, and the resulting supernatants were used immediately for activity and relative molecular mass (M r) determinations.’
- ‘Hirudin, a 65 amino acid residue anticoagulant peptide with a relative molecular mass of 7000 Da purified from the leech Hirudo medicinalis, binds thrombin with high specificity and sensitivity.’
- ‘With these diatomic molecules, there is an Avogadro's number of diatomic molecules in the amount of gas that is equivalent to the relative molecular mass.’
- ‘Number of moles equals mass over relative molecular mass.’
- ‘Cyanoalanine synthase activity has been localized mainly to mitochondria and has an apparent relative molecular mass of 53 000 to 60 000.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.