Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The ratio of the average mass of one molecule of an element or compound to one twelfth of the mass of an atom of carbon-12.
- ‘Hirudin, a 65 amino acid residue anticoagulant peptide with a relative molecular mass of 7000 Da purified from the leech Hirudo medicinalis, binds thrombin with high specificity and sensitivity.’
- ‘Cyanoalanine synthase activity has been localized mainly to mitochondria and has an apparent relative molecular mass of 53 000 to 60 000.’
- ‘Number of moles equals mass over relative molecular mass.’
- ‘The resulting homogenates were clarified by high-speed centrifugation, and the resulting supernatants were used immediately for activity and relative molecular mass (M r) determinations.’
- ‘With these diatomic molecules, there is an Avogadro's number of diatomic molecules in the amount of gas that is equivalent to the relative molecular mass.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.