One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ratio of the average mass of one atom of an element to one twelfth of the mass of an atom of carbon-12.
- ‘Avogadro's number is the number of particles present when the amount of material is the same as the atomic weight (or relative molecular mass, or relative atomic mass or weight) expressed in grams.’
- ‘They vary in relative atomic mass from 139 to 175 (lutetium).’
- ‘A scientific conference in 1860 officially adopted a combined form of Dalton's and Avogadro's theories, and soon afterward chemists began creating an accurate compilation of relative atomic masses.’
- ‘Deuterium is a stable isotope of hydrogen with a relative atomic mass of 2.014102 compared to the atomic mass of protium, 1.007825.’
- ‘It is much more convenient in these cases to use relative atomic masses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.