One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A formal notice sent by an editor or publisher to an author with a rejected manuscript or typescript.
- ‘Nevertheless, the road to publication was littered with rejection slips.’
- ‘I add this latest rejection slip from a literary magazine to my collection and turn back to the short story I had submitted.’
- ‘The next time you get a rejection slip, try to think of it as a merciful release.’
- ‘She tore up the rejection slip, and she put it in her dog's bowl.’
- ‘Even the violet rejection slips had a hint of aestheticism.’
- ‘A flood of rejection slips greeted her initial submissions of adult stories and essays.’
- ‘He extravagantly wined and dined us and constantly pestered us with her submissions despite our rude photocopied rejection slips.’
- ‘She finished the first when she was 17, tried to get it published, failed, but took on board the advice on the rejection slips.’
- ‘Now the book is in its third printing and I just threw away 1,900 rejection slips I received denying my request to publish this book.’
- ‘There are stories in boxes - there's even a whole children's book - that I'm happy that I got rejection slips for.’
- ‘Her bedroom, she says, is littered with rejection slips.’
- ‘I think it's the idea of all those rejection slips that puts me off!’
- ‘At some stage, and possibly at many different stages, decisions have to be made on whether to continue to consider a book for publication, or to send it back to its author with a rejection slip.’
- ‘It sounds corny, but I would rather receive a rejection slip than write one.’
- ‘A rejection slip from Bloomsbury is no longer regarded as a death warrant.’
- ‘Meanwhile he was writing a novel, and then sending it out and receiving endless rejection slips and so on.’
- ‘The other thing that makes her happy is the fact that she has finally got her novel published, after three years of wall-to-wall rejection slips.’
- ‘He continued to write poems as he grew up, and received the usual quota of rejection slips when he tried to publish them.’
- ‘‘All I do is fill out job applications and collect the rejection slips,’ he says, taking a drag on a cigarette and leaning forward on his tattooed arms.’
- ‘Compared with that, a few rejection slips seem quite insubstantial, really.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.