A mushroom with a shiny cap which typically grows on dead or dying timber, found in Asia and North America. Preparations made from it are credited with various stimulant and health-giving properties.
- ‘Studies with substances from reishi mushrooms have been shown useful in lowering both cholesterol and blood pressure.’
- ‘Boil 2-18 gm of chopped or powdered reishi mushroom in a quart of water.’
- ‘Shiitake and reishi mushrooms, both used and studied in China, knock cholesterol levels almost in half.’
- ‘Many mushrooms, especially reishi, contain substances that inhibit the activation of cytokines and their by-products.’
- ‘In clinical studies, maitake, reishi and shiitake mushrooms have demonstrated anticancer activities.’