One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Invade (something, especially a country or region) again.
- ‘After dissociation, the nascent strand may anneal to a complementary single strand, reinvade a template to be extended by additional synthesis, or undergo end joining.’
- ‘On a more populist level, sunken living rooms are reinvading suburbia as Americans ditch large open spaces for rooms with more intimacy.’
- ‘In one study, they determined how quickly other termites would reinvade an area after a single colony had been eliminated.’
- ‘Seastars commonly reinvaded the removal plots in a matter of days following the manual removals, particularly in spring and summer when seastars are most active.’
- ‘The uninhabited and forested Noises Islands (Motuhoropapa and Otata) off northeast New Zealand were reinvaded by Norway rats at least six times between 1981 and 2002.’
- ‘For the past five years, however, malaria has reinvaded a broad swath from Asia to the Americas, with rare occurrences even reported in the United States.’
- ‘In North America, where most mountain ranges run north to south, many species were pushed south during glaciation and were able to reinvade northward during subsequent glacial retreat.’
- ‘When it came to be reinvaded by 55,000 Marines of III US Amphibious Corps on 20 July 1944, the Japanese defenders put up a stiff fight for three weeks, but over 10,000 were killed.’
- ‘After the retreat of the ice sheets since the last glacial maximum, northern Europe was subsequently reinvaded from several refuges in southern Europe.’
- ‘Despite an aggressive campaign two years ago to eliminate the species, water hyacinths appear to be reinvading much of the lake.’
- ‘By the Convention of Sintra, the French left the country, but they reinvaded a year later.’
- ‘Because the ice cap retreated from south to north, the brook charr reinvaded eastern Canada northward from the single ‘Atlantic’ glacial refugium located off the Atlantic coast of New England.’
- ‘By 7 months after the poisoning, Messenger reports, ‘one dead colony had been completely reinvaded.’’
- ‘In principle this molecular epidemiological approach, in conjunction with ecological data, will allow estimation of the risk that houses will be reinvaded after spraying.’
- ‘They are also helping develop innovative techniques to prevent the weeds from successfully reinvading.’
- ‘‘Illegal occupants were previously removed last year due to unsafe building conditions, but unfortunately the building was reinvaded,’ Singh said.’
- ‘The armyworm probably does not overwinter in Nebraska, but reinvades the northern part of its range each spring.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.