Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Cause to become infected again.‘even though there is a drug that can cure the disease, people can be reinfected’
- ‘Children may in turn be reinfected with different strains of the virus.’
- ‘Unfortunately, in Africa the disease is so widely prevalent that kids keep being reinfected every time they go into fresh water and that's what causes this large burden of disease that they carry.’
- ‘A person can be reinfected after drug treatment if they swallow more worm eggs, so it is important to maintain high levels of hygiene.’
- ‘‘African countries have worked rapidly and effectively to eradicate polio; now the tragedy is that many of them are becoming reinfected,’ Dr Heymann said.’
- ‘Patients with primary infection tend to be clinically ‘sicker’ than those who are reinfected.’
- ‘To remove the worm, a system administrator had to run a program that erased the malicious code; then, the administrator had to patch the vulnerability so that the computer would not get reinfected.’
- ‘Each pustule daily produces about 1000 spores, each of which is capable of reinfecting wheat.’
- ‘However, the worm is so widespread and efficient that a vulnerable machine will be reinfected within minutes if it's not protected.’
- ‘As with the women, however, the fear of becoming reinfected and compromising their health as well as the fear of infecting others were commonly cited explanations for celibacy.’
- ‘But I am a little concerned by the fact that the children get reinfected after already having the cold once.’
- ‘Indeed, a child growing up in an endemic community can expect be infected soon after weaning, and to be infected and constantly reinfected for the rest of her or his life.’
- ‘Could someone already infected with HIV get reinfected with a different strain that would make treatment more difficult?’
- ‘You can prevent your child from becoming reinfected by deworming your pets and by keeping your child away from areas where pets defecate.’
- ‘However, patients who have had a previous infection may exhibit symptoms in a matter of days if they are reinfected.’
- ‘Actually, the virus never left; it was in your body and reinfects the new liver.’
- ‘We have to divert resources from endemic areas to reinfected areas.’
- ‘I offer pain medication and antibiotics, but it's a temporary fix because their drinking water will simply reinfect them.’
- ‘Some anti-virus programs remove the main parts of the most widespread variants, but leave traces behind, sometimes allowing them to restore themselves and reinfect a system.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.