One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A year reckoned from the date or anniversary of a sovereign's accession.‘a commemorative 25 dinar piece was issued to mark the King's 25th regnal year’
- ‘One of the most common is with reference to the reign of a king, queen, or other official so that dates are given as the regnal year of that person.’
- ‘During Roman times dates were determined either as years after the foundation of Rome, or as regnal years based on the anniversary of the Emperor's accession.’
- ‘It is uncertain why the author decides to provide birth and death years for kings, instead of the commonly-used regnal years.’
- ‘When Snofru moved his court to Dahshur in his 15th regnal year, work began on a new pyramid at the site.’
- ‘They are from the first regnal year of the Babylonian king Nabonassar.’
- ‘According to tradition, the image was built during the 51st regnal year of Candrasurya, who ascended the throne of Arakan in 146 BCE.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.