One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A year reckoned from the date or anniversary of a sovereign's accession.‘a commemorative 25 dinar piece was issued to mark the King's 25th regnal year’
- ‘During Roman times dates were determined either as years after the foundation of Rome, or as regnal years based on the anniversary of the Emperor's accession.’
- ‘One of the most common is with reference to the reign of a king, queen, or other official so that dates are given as the regnal year of that person.’
- ‘When Snofru moved his court to Dahshur in his 15th regnal year, work began on a new pyramid at the site.’
- ‘According to tradition, the image was built during the 51st regnal year of Candrasurya, who ascended the throne of Arakan in 146 BCE.’
- ‘It is uncertain why the author decides to provide birth and death years for kings, instead of the commonly-used regnal years.’
- ‘They are from the first regnal year of the Babylonian king Nabonassar.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.