Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Glaze (a window) again.‘the main west window has been completely restored and reglazed’
- ‘The contraption not only sped up the roof steel rehabilitation, it compressed the reglazing of nearly 60,000 sq ft of glass from the two years the job originally took into just 4.5 months.’
- ‘Somehow, there it survived until the following year, when Daniel recommended it be reglazed for safety.’
- ‘Now I'm just waiting for the landlords (it's a rented property) to come and check the window so they can get it replaced/reglazed.’
- ‘All broken windows have been removed and reglazed.’
- ‘This particular building had a 20-year-old glazing system on the façade that was starting to fail, as they do about that age, so it was necessary to reglaze.’
- ‘The only changes to the 1932 garage facade and its 1941 rear addition were to reglaze the windows with double panes and to install a new fiberglass rolling door.’
- ‘Today Chris Hodgson head of operations for North Bradford Community Housing Trust said: ‘It was explained to Miss Robinson that the windows would be reglazed and the door fitted on the day she moved in.’’
- ‘Reims' stained glass gives an idea of the risks: reglazed in the sixteenth century, replaced higgledy-piggledy during releading in the eighteenth, wrecked by hail in the nineteenth and finished off by shellfire in the twentieth.’
- ‘When reglazing, remove all old glazing compound from the window sash with a putty knife, chisel, or large screwdriver.’
- ‘In the 20th century, the windows were also reglazed with multicolored glass after the Victorian windows were blown out by a World War II bomb and a second side altar installed.’
- ‘Now its classrooms have been repaired, reglazed and redecorated, and it is ready to help those children start living a normal life again.’
- ‘It's also blissfully easy to clean and to maintain - there's no reglazing, regrouting, revarnishing, patching up, or scrubbing down.’
- ‘The kiosk has been reglazed with five straight panes, instead of the original curved panes.’
- ‘All broken windows are to be cleared and reglazed.’
- ‘On visiting the block we have discovered some minor reglazing to be done and some graffiti, both of which we will deal with in the near future.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.