One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who stages a theatrical production, especially a ballet.
supervisor, controller, producer, auteur, choreographerView synonyms
- ‘In 1900 he moved to Moscow where he became premier danseur and regisseur of the Bolshoi Ballet; in 1902 he was appointed director, a position he held until his death.’
- ‘She is the regisseur for ballets by Smuin and Val Caniparoli (she has set his popular Lambarena on companies from South Africa to South Florida).’
- ‘Dancers and choreographers, ballet masters and regisseurs do not take kindly to non-dancers controlling their destinies or making decisions for them.’
- ‘Stretton was appointed regisseur at American Ballet Theatre in 1993 and moved up to assistant director in 1994.’
- ‘Irina Jacobson, widow of the choreographer and a respected international ballet teacher and regisseur, has also been an important part of these revivals.’
From French régisseur.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.