Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A prescribed course of medical treatment, diet, or exercise for the promotion or restoration of health.‘a regimen of one or two injections per day’
course of action, method of working, mo, line of action, process, procedure, practice, approach, technique, style, manner, way, means, mode of behaviour, mode of conduct, methodology, system, policy, strategy, programme, formula, regimenprogramme, series, sequence, system, schedule, regimenView synonyms
- ‘Trials of anti-inflammatory treatment regimens for sepsis have had few successes.’
- ‘Health officials have announced that they will re-evaluate the treatment regimen of ribavirin and steroids.’
- ‘All treatment regimens were generally well tolerated.’
- ‘The same trials also revealed that 96 percent of women on the regimen would recommend its use to others.’
- ‘The physician needs to consider a number of factors in choosing a treatment regimen for the patient with acne.’
- ‘Many clinicians have tailored patient treatment regimens through hemodynamic monitoring.’
- ‘However, the ideal regimen and duration of treatment have not yet been resolved.’
- ‘Our secondary hypothesis was that relapse rates would be same in the two treatment regimens.’
- ‘To date, long-term medical therapies and regimens have not been effective in treating morbid obesity.’
- ‘This includes dieting, exercise regimens, psychotherapy, or prescription medications.’
- ‘They may try to hide their symptoms and not stick to treatment regimens.’
- ‘HRT therapy is one of the most commonly prescribed drug regimens for postmenopausal women in the United States.’
- ‘The authors concluded that no significant difference in adverse events was evident among the various treatment regimens.’
- ‘The CDC provided two treatment regimens for extended protection against anthrax.’
- ‘We also determined the costs of these treatment regimens to the NHS.’
- ‘The mainstay of initial treatment is a structured regimen of physical therapy.’
- ‘Continuous combined hormone replacement therapy regimens are safe and effective in the short term treatment of postmenopausal women’
- ‘Treatments included standard regimens of whole brain radiation and/or chemotherapy.’
- ‘Treatment with standard regimens is highly effective even in this immunocompromised population.’
- ‘Not all patients will be able to achieve the goal of durable viral suppression, and treatment regimens need to be individualized.’
2archaic A system of government.system, arrangement, scheme, codeView synonyms
Late Middle English (denoting the action of governing): from Latin, from regere to rule.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.