Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[usually in combination] A vehicle's registration mark, especially the letter denoting the year of manufacture.‘a B-reg lorry’
- ‘Because my car is an L reg 1992, it has now been classed as a write off.’
- ‘On nearby Grendan Street, a 52 - reg silver blue Peugeot 206 had paint splattered on the bonnet, wing and door.’
- ‘Officers searched the K reg Audi they were travelling in and found three holdalls in the boot containing £960, £840 and £312, all in cash.’
- ‘The first BMW had alloy wheels, was X reg, and the last three letters of its license plate were WKK.’
- ‘The Coast Guard assigns each commercial boat builder a three-letter identification code, which is followed by the boat's serial number, the date the boat was certified to meet manufacturing regs and its model year.’
- ‘I actually found this a little too dark, cold and eerie for my liking, the A14 cuts across some fairly lonely countryside and with nothing else on the road I was praying that my K reg Polo was going to last the distance.’
- ‘We have a K reg Volvo 440 that has done 85,000 miles.’
- ‘Driving my nice R reg Suzuki today made me feel good.’
- ‘They escaped in a grey M reg Mazda Xedos 6, which was driven by a third man.’
- ‘I'm not sure they make a diesel P reg Fiesta, but I suggested that it might give a warning inside the petrol cap about what fuel to put in, as it does on my car, before I gingerly made off for the brief respite of the warmth of the shop as I paid.’
- ‘It was a replacement for her red D reg Rover Metro which was stolen last summer.’
- ‘There was a bloke on a brand new, 03 reg, baby Harley, trying to commit suicide in front of me.’
- ‘After all, we don't want Darren turning up on his 18th birthday after a night on the WKD, in his F reg Ford Fiesta XR2, ready for a drive do we?’
- ‘In the meantime, if anyone is interested in purchasing a silver 1990 H reg VW Polo, then make me an reasonable offer (and when I say reasonable, I mean hard cash).’
- ‘And now I pretty much have it back as the new car is a red, J reg, Peugeot 405GRD.’
- ‘It was a red, somewhat clapped out P reg small saloon.’
- ‘Use your common sense: if the car you're looking at is a 1991 J reg then you should expect it to have upwards of 140,000 miles.’
- ‘Huntley's life settled into a mundane routine centring on his car, a pristine J reg Ford Fiesta, his work and his dog, Sadie.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.