One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A period immediately following stimulation during which a nerve or muscle is unresponsive to further stimulation.
- ‘The refractory period, the period following orgasm during which the person cannot be sexually aroused, lengthens.’
- ‘The alkaloid also acts on the myocardium to depress conduction and irritability, as well as to prolong the myocardial refractory period.’
- ‘The refractory period sets a limit on the frequency at which action potentials can be conducted along single nerve fibres.’
- ‘These actions are attributed to binding with nociceptors, which causes a period of enhanced sensitivity followed by a refractory period of reduced sensitivity.’
- ‘One pathway is relatively fast and has a long refractory period; the other pathway is slow with a short refractory period.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.