Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument for measuring a refractive index.
- ‘The refractometer measures the refractive index of the total soluble solids.’
- ‘Discerning the difference between a gas and liquid thus requires a refractometer that can measure slight differences between critical angles and reflection intensities.’
- ‘Preventive maintenance must be performed on all equipment related to the urinalysis including analyzers, pipettors, refrigerators, microscopes and refractometers.’
- ‘For most gemstones the refractive index can be measured with a gemmologist's refractometer, but the refractive indices of diamond, some zircons, and certain other gem materials are too high to be measured with most of these instruments.’
- ‘In its simplest form, grape sampling might consist of selecting some berries haphazardly from the vineyard and expressing juice into a refractometer to measure sugar content.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.