Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A Church that has accepted the principles of the Reformation, especially a Calvinist Church (as distinct from Lutheran).
- ‘The Irish Presbyterian Church, which is a founding member of the World Alliance of Reformed Churches, has over 560 congregations in 21 presbyteries throughout Ireland, with over 300,000 members.’
- ‘This clear prohibition has been dismissed in many modern churches, such as the Christian Reformed Church and many others which have opted to disregard God's Word and ordain their women to the Gospel ministry.’
- ‘The new Vatican documents ‘are certainly not consistent with the spirit of Vatican II,’ said a spokesman for the World Alliance of Reformed Churches in Geneva.’
- ‘In the 1980s, however, the Lutheran Synod determined to participate in the reunion process between the two largest Calvinistic Churches - the Dutch Reformed Church and the smaller Reformed Churches in the Netherlands.’
- ‘In May 2004 the Evangelical Lutheran Church in the Netherlands merged with the two largest Dutch Reformed Churches into the Protestant Church in the Netherlands.’
- ‘He is the former president of the Geneva-based World Alliance of Reformed Churches and once held a top post in the African National Congress in the Cape Town area, playing a leading role in dismantling apartheid.’
- ‘Ruth Veldcamp has served as a missionary with the Christian Reformed Church in East Central Nigeria, Africa, for more than twenty years.’
- ‘Representing the view against common grace was Professor David Engelsma, Professor of Dogmatics and Old Testament studies at the Theological School of the Protestant Reformed Churches in Grandville, Michigan.’
- ‘Several members of the Presbyterian Reformed Church take it in turns to serve passers-by from a Christian bookstall.’
- ‘In 1624 the company also established the Dutch Reformed Church (the Reformed Church in America) which has exercised a significant influence in the Dutch American community.’
- ‘Full-communion agreements with the Moravian Church, the Presbyterian Church U.S.A., the Reformed Church in America and the United Church of Christ are widely seen as costing the Lutherans little.’
- ‘Pastor Timothy J. Worrell of the Presbyterian Reformed Church, Charlotte, North Carolina, conducted the induction service, which was attended by about fifty people.’
- ‘Calvin Bremer, executive director of the radio, print, and television ministry Back to God Hour, was due to become executive director of the Christian Reformed Church in North America on August 22.’
- ‘Carpenter said the Christian Reformed Church, Calvin's denomination, has remained loyal to the politics of Abraham Kuyper, who served as Dutch prime minister from 1901 to 1905.’
- ‘About 85 percent of Frisians belong to one of two Calvinist churches - the Dutch Reformed Church, or the Reformed Church.’
- ‘The World Alliance of Reformed Churches consists of Congregational, Presbyterian, Reformed, and United churches.’
- ‘The Catholic Church, The Lutheran Church and Reformed Churches of John Calvin and Ulrich Zwingli frequently charged the Hutterites with heresy.’
- ‘At this time, he also left his presbytery, where disciplinary charges had been filed against him, and joined the Christian Reformed Church.’
- ‘The predominantly high number of Presbyterian adherents was due both to the perceived similarities between the Presbyterian Church and the old-world Reformed Church and to early missionary efforts.’
- ‘He produced the Irish Articles of Religion as a doctrinal basis for the Reformed Church of Ireland, and traced his church to the ancient Celtic church, rather than the Roman Catholic Church.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.