Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Give a new format to; revise or represent in another format.‘the software has been reformatted to run under the industry standard operating system’
- ‘Alternatively, you can simply backup these packages to an external storage medium when reformatting your computer so you can quickly and easily update the machine.’
- ‘Tim Power, a Kilkenny newsagent who operates a small cybercafe, has reformatted his computers after finding them loaded with Internet worms.’
- ‘If you are not happy with the distribution, just pop the diskette out, throw it away (or reformat it) and reboot your PC.’
- ‘To be really sure you've deleted Microsoft worms and viruses, you've got to reformat the disk before restoring from backup.’
- ‘The system cannot directly access data wherever it resides on the network and, as a result, it must move the data from the core database and often reformat the entire file.’
- ‘I had reformatted my computer and lost the dial-in number.’
- ‘Sliding out the keyboard automatically reformats the display from portrait into landscape mode.’
- ‘It may be impossible to reinstall without reformatting the hard disk of your computer.’
- ‘It asks a few questions and then proceeds to repartition and reformat the hard drive, so be sure you're ready to let that happen.’
- ‘There's a hodgepodge of tools available to assist harried helpdesk staffers in doing everything from reformatting disk drives to remotely controlling a PC.’
- ‘I told him I used your software and was reformatting my hard drive.’
- ‘Viewer copes best with word processor and text documents, reformatting the text to fit the narrow screen.’
- ‘On both PCs, we reformatted the hard drives and installed a new operating system before installing ServieWise to avoid any legacy software that might interfere with our testing.’
- ‘Replacing software without having to reformat data or change hardware would also be possible.’
- ‘It could take any action the user himself could take, including adding, changing or deleting data, communicating with web sites, reformatting the disk drive, and other actions.’
- ‘Since there's no write protection, nothing will stop a malicious user from reformatting it with the Operating System's disk tools.’
- ‘The input from the new user interface must also be reformatted to allow the underlying legacy program to understand the request.’
- ‘This would give the attacker the ability to take any action on the computer they desired - including changing web pages, reformatting the hard drive, or adding new users to the local administrators group.’
- ‘Despite trying to educate her and installing firewall plus anti-virus software, I find myself having to reformat my daughter's PC every few months because it ends up loaded with spyware and adware.’
- ‘There's little else left to do but reformat my hard disks and reinstall Windows and all my software.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.