Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An industrial installation where a substance is refined.‘an oil refinery’
- ‘The industrial sector includes an oil refinery, steelworks, and chemicals.’
- ‘The Texas coast is home to a quarter of the country's oil refineries and is also the source of much of the country's natural gas.’
- ‘Hungary increased protection at its Paks nuclear station in the south and at the MOL oil refineries.’
- ‘These technologies soon found their way into petroleum refineries and chemical plants.’
- ‘By the end of the century, kerosene had become the chief product of American oil refineries.’
- ‘The residents claim that fish caught in local waters are tainted with oil deposits from the refinery.’
- ‘Even today, the tourist beach is contaminated by oil from nearby refineries.’
- ‘Emissions from even one giant cargo ship's engines rival those of an oil refinery.’
- ‘But this will be a short term measure and there is an urgent need to get the refineries and oil rigs back into production before the onset of winter.’
- ‘The heather would be fermented in giant vats at oil refineries and mixed with petrol before being taken to petrol stations.’
- ‘Its skyline is blighted by lots of stacks from heavy industry, including oil and nickel refineries.’
- ‘Bahrain has developed advanced technology for petrochemical plants and oil refineries.’
- ‘The twin-engine plane had taken off from Tripoli and was on its way to an oil refinery when the incident happened.’
- ‘The workers blocked access to an oil refinery and interrupted road travel into Bolivia.’
- ‘But ethanol must be blended with gasoline at an oil refinery to make it usable as a fuel.’
- ‘It's next to the ocean, you've got three industrial sites and it's next to an oil refinery.’
- ‘Engineers tonight are also checking for damage to the area's oil refineries.’
- ‘The Australian Workers Union has members in many oil refineries and petrochemical plants around the country.’
- ‘Curaçao is unspoiled, in the truest sense of the word: you can buy a postcard of the oil refinery.’
- ‘A number of oil refineries have been knocked out of commission by Hurricane Katrina.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.