One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A basis or standard for evaluation, assessment, or comparison; a criterion.
- ‘When getting close to the city, he lost his visual reference point, the railway line, as the tracks converged around York Station.’
- ‘MS Windows uses pictograms as a reference point, rather than words.’
- ‘All but one said the church provided standards or a reference point for good behavior.’
- ‘The state is viewed as the major reference point in dealing with the problem.’
- ‘Komensky is the moral reference point for the idea of an universal education.’
- ‘In particular he claimed the officer had not used a proper reference point when measuring Ferdinand's speed.’
- ‘The precarious political situation between the two superpowers was almost a constant reference point in my early teenage years.’
- ‘And, as far as I see it, the older photo of her was used as a reference point, as that is how most remember the woman.’
- ‘There is no absolute standard, or even an external reference point.’
- ‘This is particularly true over foreign policy, which dominated the first two debates and seemed to be the main reference point for my students.’
- ‘Using the war as a historical reference point is routine.’
- ‘There is currently no height restriction on buildings in the city but the Minster is used as a central reference point.’
- ‘The events of May, 1968 prove inescapable as a reference point of recent history.’
- ‘This awakening is the crucial watershed in the Buddha's life and the key reference point for Buddhism.’
- ‘I was raised a Catholic and as a result the Christ story is the prominent reference point for my current faith.’
- ‘I think I have a different reference point for the music I choose to sample.’
- ‘I did this so that the bloggers listed could use that post as a reference point to check back and see how far they've come.’
- ‘The current invariably displaces the nets but the reference point is some landmark on the shore.’
- ‘But they did so in an age when British television was using theatre rather than film as its reference point.’
- ‘The Chemical Brothers are my reference point for electronic dance music, and once again they have raised the bar.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.