One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of two officials who assist the referee from the touchline, especially in deciding whether the ball is out of play.
umpire, judge, assistant referee, linesman, line judge, adjudicator, arbitrator, arbiter, mediatorView synonyms
- ‘It was not long then before Craig Dargo and Peter Canero were gesticulating at the referee's assistant, feeling they had been unjustly pulled up for offside.’
- ‘The referee's assistant flagged for handball outside the area and had the result been in doubt the keeper might have been sent off.’
- ‘As the ball rolled back into the goalmouth, Toure clipped the ball home on the rebound only for the referee's assistant to raise his flag.’
- ‘There was also a missile-throwing incident when a referee's assistant was struck by a coin thrown from a section of the Spurs fans.’
- ‘Rangers were presented with a chance to take the lead when referee's assistant Mr Bowen flagged for the slightest of pushes on Richard Dickinson.’
- ‘Initially, referee Eddie Evans seemed content to give both players a severe talking to but after consulting with his referee's assistant brandished a red card at Parkin.’
- ‘Odlum faces a misconduct charge after confronting one of the referee's assistants as the teams left the pitch.’
- ‘Three players were flagged as being offside before the referee's assistant changed his mind after a chat with the referee and allowed Amoako's goal to stand.’
- ‘The referee's assistant has just signalled that we have two minutes of additonal time.’
- ‘The referee's assistant has actually given the penalty as well by putting his flag across his chest.’
- ‘Stags did have the ball in the net in the first half but Shayne Bradley, who shone in attack, was judged to be offside by the referee's assistant.’
- ‘We felt we could have had three points but unfortunately one of the referee's assistants has decided to give an offside.’
- ‘The referee's assistant told them both to get on with it.’
- ‘Replays indicated that the referee's assistant's decision was correct.’
- ‘Wayne Carlisle tried to hook the ball clear but the referee's assistant had spotted the ball had already crossed the line.’
- ‘The referee, the referee's assistant, Roy Carroll, Sir Alex and everybody else agrees that Tottenham scored a perfectly good goal.’
- ‘Lee Bowyer hammered the rebound into the net only to have his effort ruled out by the referee's assistant.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.