One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting a tape recorder in which the tape passes between two reels mounted separately rather than within a cassette, now generally superseded by cassette players except for professional use.
- ‘On top of an 18 foot scaffold-ladder stood a reel-to-reel cassette player, without an uptake reel, so the tape continuously piled onto the floor several feet below.’
- ‘Armed with a reel-to-reel tape recorder, he sat for hours listening to the tales of the old-timers, whose ranks included Rube Marquard, Sam Crawford, Fred Snodgrass, Joe Wood, and Paul Waner.’
- ‘Watching this solo on videotape, one sees Nagrin, dressed in white T-shirt, pants, shoes and socks, on a bare stage except for a table which holds his reel-to-reel tape recorder.’
- ‘For example, the only thing I remember my grandfather giving me as a child was a reel-to-reel Wollensak tape recorder for my Bar Mitzvah.’
- ‘Here, sonic blasts from the past are entombed in a hodgepodge of vinyl records, compact discs and reel-to-reel tapes.’
- ‘Foolhardily, Ash, Scott, and their girlfriends sit around one night and listen to passages from the book recorded on an old reel-to-reel tape deck by an elderly professor.’
- ‘Recorded on a variety of media from phonographs, to reel-to-reel tape and DVD, the archive is as formidable as it is valuable.’
- ‘These particular punishments, the lectures that preceded them and the screams they provoked, were recorded on a giant reel-to-reel tape recorder that stood in the living-room.’
- ‘The music industry had exactly the same response to the advent of reel-to-reel home tape recorders, cassettes, DATs, minidiscs, VCRs, music videos, MTV and a host of other products and services.’
- ‘And I've got a spare reel-to-reel tape recorder and LP record player on order.’
- ‘Even Robyn Williams' trusty reel-to-reel tape recorder is now collectable and he should consider including it in any eventual retirement package he may negotiate with the ABC.’
- ‘I remember getting a reel-to-reel tape recording that had the music to Ben Hur and How the West Was Won.’
- ‘Later, I would transfer the audio to reel-to-reel tape, leader it and make it ready to use in the show.’
- ‘In the days of reel-to-reel tape recorders, it was a technological feat in itself to be surreptitious.’
- ‘Another popular tool that remained in the schools I attended as late as 1984 was the reel-to-reel tape recorder.’
- ‘An old reel-to-reel tape recorder and dozens of tapes of classical music keep company with a modern stereo system and a collection of CDs.’
- ‘It took time to save up the money to buy a little Sony battery-powered cassette recorder, but finally I ditched my reel-to-reel tapes.’
- ‘Pettersen, 60, was about 15 and the eager new owner of a reel-to-reel tape recorder when a friend told him about a local singer.’
- ‘This opening narration ends with a visual of a reel-to-reel tape recorder playing on a window sill to an empty room.’
- ‘Finally, for Stones' fans there is a rare reel-to-reel tape recording of their performance at the Crawdaddy Club in Richmond during the summer of 1963.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.