One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A simple wind instrument having or made from a reed.
- ‘Despite being written for a barbarian reed pipe, Ts'ai Yen's songs can still be sung on Chinese instruments.’
- ‘Donning the guise of a country cowherd and veiling his godhead, Hermes approached Argus, seemingly unaware of the Titan's presence, playing an achingly wonderful tune upon a reed pipe.’
- ‘In the first tale, Chinese soldiers tied reed pipes to kites and flew the kites at night.’
- ‘Soweto's famous 40-strong Imilonji kaNtu Choral Society, led by director Gobingca George Mxadana, will accompany the uhadi bow harp, tshikona reed pipe, ixilongwe, kudu horn, mbira, marimba, drum, shaker and clapper.’
- ‘After he was done singing, Seiriô took out a reed pipe and played an improvised musical interlude.’
- ‘Mercury sat with Argus for hours and told stories and played soothing music on the reed pipe to lull the guard to sleep, but although many of the eyes closed, Argus managed to keep a few eyes open to watch Io.’
- ‘Two reed instruments are also used: the ney, a single reed pipe; and the maqrum, a double-reed clarinet.’
- ‘Starting from left, there are the percussionists Tsai Chun-chang and Chung Cheng-tah, and on the Chinese reed pipe is Kuo Ching-tsai.’
- ‘The Sami also invented their own musical instrument, a small reed pipe.’
- ‘The reed pipe's name is derived from a Hebrew verb meaning ‘to have inordinate affection’ even ‘lust’ or ‘sensual love’.’
- ‘Peaceman's opening in the first of the six portraits, ‘Pan - who played upon the reed pipe which is Syrinx, his beloved’ is mysteriously distant and full of reverence.’
- ‘Her voice was empty, thin, like an unsteady breeze blowing across a reed pipe.’
- 1.1 An organ pipe with a reed.
- ‘It is noteworthy that it had such reed pipes as Dulcian and Regal, in contrast with the little chamber positives that are so often used in concert halls today, attempting to fulfil that accompanying role with nothing but flues.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.