One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A red earthworm used in composting kitchen waste and as fishing bait.
Lumbricus rubellus, family Lumbricidae
- ‘The classic grayling bait is a small redworm: grayling just love them.’
- ‘Finally, add the worms, usually redworms, which are widely available for sale.’
- ‘The closest you can get to fishing with a natural bait for these timid tench is with the humble maggot and redworm.’
- ‘Three-inch, dark red-maroon redworms have yellowish undersides and work their way through the top 6-12 inches of soil horizontally.’
- ‘Fishing a groundbait feeder with chopped worm he fished redworm on the hook tempting small carp and tench.’
2A parasitic nematode worm occurring in the intestines of horses.
Genus Strongylus, class Phasmida
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.