One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Either of two giant conifers with thick fibrous bark, native to California and Oregon. They are the tallest known trees and are among the largest living organisms.
Two species in the family Taxodiaceae: the California (or coast) redwood (Sequoia sempervirens), which can grow to a height of c.110 m (328 ft), and the giant redwood, giant sequoia, wellingtonia, or big tree (Sequoiadendron giganteum), which can reach a trunk diameter of 11 m (36 ft)
- ‘A grove of giant redwoods or sequoias should be kept just as we keep a great and beautiful cathedral.’
- ‘Among the colossal redwoods, proportions change and dimensions shift.’
- ‘The nursery offers other conifers, including Colorado blue spruce, deodar cedar, Douglas fir, and coast redwood.’
- ‘It is just off the main route to the Redwood Park, home of the famed giant redwood trees that rise up to 367 feet and can live for more than 2,000 years.’
- ‘Among the towering redwoods rise clumps of native trees.’
- 1.1 Used in names of a number of chiefly tropical trees with reddish timber, e.g. Andaman redwood.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.